Monday, June 15, 2009

Insight, next steps

Pattern Interrumpere -- after a couple of weeks out of town for family & other business, I returned home last week to a Shamanic Practitioner Intensive. It was intensive indeed, very amazing. I learned and experienced so much, I find this path so rewarding and nourishing and I'm incredibly grateful. During, I gained some insight into the current pastel art piece that I'm working on, which is meant to be a portal for cleaning/clearing negativity in a space. I would eventually like to turn it into a bowl that can be used during healing sessions. Not quite sure how, but that leads me to remembering another insight I had, which is Huichol bowl to practice copying both shipibo and huichol art, but primarily huichol, and particularly their use of color. Both traditions create bowls for ceremonial use, which is what reminded me of the insight. Shipibo paint the outside of clay pottery and Huichol line the inside of gourdes with amazing images using beads and bees wax.

I once took an art class (about 16 years ago!) where the teacher had us choose a master (I chose John Singer Seargent) and then copy his/her work . The idea was to allow their work to teach us and inform and influence our personal work. I learned much more than expected from this exercise and I'm excited about studying Huichol and Shipibo art similarly.

For some reason, I'm having the urge to work with cloth on this bowl, perhaps silkscreen on fabric, or painting silk, and lining the inside of a bowl, or perhaps a gourde. Although, ideally this bowl would be practical, portable and durable, perhaps even collapsible, perhaps 1/2 a chinese lantern that's spiral based? It'll be fun to experiment when the time is right. But first, complete the image on paper and also practice studying Huichol art.

No comments:

Post a Comment